Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: vs Raiders
Pick Results: LAS: 2.3% at NE: 97.7%
Sun
Sep 27th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Chevrolet

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
I like the Thuney signing. Focusing on both sides of the line is the quickest way tp rebuild the franchise without Brady.
Hope this signals they will be going in for lineman in the draft as well.
The new CBA gets rid of the 30% rule, so coming to terms on a long term extension with THuney should be doable.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Pats said they want a long term deal

“Joe has been a model teammate and an essential element to our success since joining our team in 2016. Utilizing the franchise designation allows both sides more time to try to reach the goal of a long-term agreement"

Read more at: Patriots’ Goal Is To Sign Franchised Joe Thuney To ‘Long-Term Agreement’
They kinda have to say that. The franchise tag rules require that the tag must be used in "good faith" (i.e., you must be willing to keep the player).

Hammer of Thor

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Pats said they want a long term deal

“Joe has been a model teammate and an essential element to our success since joining our team in 2016. Utilizing the franchise designation allows both sides more time to try to reach the goal of a long-term agreement"

Read more at: Patriots’ Goal Is To Sign Franchised Joe Thuney To ‘Long-Term Agreement’
Just remember....

"Matt has been a pleasure to coach his entire career and last season in particular, when his years of hard work and commitment resulted in a most impressive performance," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said in a statement. "We look forward to working with Matt again in 2009."

Patriots place franchise tag on QB Cassel

varjao

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Maybe Cannon is gone, there is a lot of mileage on those legs, he seems to be on a point where any minimal injury will have a worse effect on him than in a kid fresh out of college.

Maybe it's time to spend a high pick on a RT.

50-yard-line

His CAP might be somewhat significant, but he's still 9th in the league overall for Right Guards. And that stands to go DOWN as others are signed to higher money.
Also keep in mind that although that mean 9th out of 32, and thus sounds high, how many of those 23 behind him are on rookie deals (and probably mid-round picks, to boot)?

patsrj

Practice Squad Player
The more I think about Thuney tag, the more I like it.
If NE keep Brady, we can trade it for some offensive weapons.
If they don't, they'll have a lot of time to work his contract and keep him for the foreseeable future

PF_SU

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Just remember....

"Matt has been a pleasure to coach his entire career and last season in particular, when his years of hard work and commitment resulted in a most impressive performance," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said in a statement. "We look forward to working with Matt again in 2009."

Patriots place franchise tag on QB Cassel
While that's true and I agree that not too much weight should be put into the statement (especially considering that technically the language does not allow for a tag-and-trade), there is no Tom Brady at Guard sitting in front of Thuney.

Hammer of Thor

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
While that's true and I agree that not too much weight should be put into the statement (especially considering that technically the language does not allow for a tag-and-trade), there is no Tom Brady at Guard sitting in front of Thuney.
But they have James Ferentz!!!

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Well I think Wynn is a very good starting LT - I think Cannon has had some very good years (including a pro bowl or two IIRC) I have high hopes for Cajuste, and if the worst case is another year of Marshall Newhouse as the #4 OT rather than a starter I'd sign on for that.

Perhaps I should have said this was POTENTIALLY a pretty good group
I agree with "potentially" a pretty good group. I'm fine with Newhouse as a #4 although I suspect that a draftee is more likely.

PatsDeb

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I'm sure it's all economics that I will never understand, but we tag Thuney, have no deal on Brady, and Van Noy and Jamie Collins are gone? It's a WTF evening in a WTF world.

Ras-IR Dowling

I'm sure it's all economics that I will never understand, but we tag Thuney, have no deal on Brady, and Van Noy and Jamie Collins are gone? It's a WTF evening in a WTF world.
Well besides the Thuney tag the other 3 were not too far fetched at this point. I expected to lose both Lbs.