SOURCE:clutchpoints.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 13th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Coronavirus News, Updates, Pandemic Discussion

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Ian, Mar 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost of Ben Dreith

Ghost of Ben Dreith PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +73
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
  2. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Ratings:
    +11,140
    While I appreciate your passion as always, I've made it clear to everyone that we're not getting into Trump or the government at this point in this thread. We've made it hundreds of posts to this point and we've had a couple of flare-ups, but so far, so good. So no need to come in guns blazing, there aren't any battles to fight as of yet and hopefully it stays that way ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +35,706
    sorry...just getting sick of the political sniping Ian

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Ratings:
    +11,140
    I obviously agree. The last thread got a little too out of control, so it's good that we've at least got one to get news, check in on members who are suffering from it directly, etc. As I've mentioned, I want to make sure we all get through it so fingers crossed that it stays that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Joker

Ratings:
    +35,706
    Police here in Charlestown, R.I. posted official notices on all the doors of open businesses on RT 1a here....all NY residents must stay quarantined for 14 days upon arrival in town or face immediate arrest. The locals are ecstatic. The fleeing mega rich morons hoping to carry on like they do back in NY?...not so much...

• Like Like x 2
  6. KontradictioN

KontradictioN PatsFans.com #1 Arguer PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +57,223
    Yeah, I was just responding to the post I quoted. I hadn’t followed the back and forth to that point but I agree that the political nonsense should be left out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +25,507
    We don't need no freaking Jete or Yankee fans over here anyways ...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +25,507
    As for the political nonsense ...
    I just don't get how people can be blamed politically for something unprecedented.
    It's near impossible to be prepared for a pandemic - they are all different.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Confused Confused x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Adam Seward

Adam Seward IAN 2020 PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,550
    Yeah man, dont open the door on an otherwise tame thread...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. fair catch fryar

fair catch fryar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,560
    Let the blame game play out on TV and after this **** is over. Right now everyone needs to take this stuff seriously and do their part to prevent this from spiraling. After 8 days of getting tested I finally got back negative results. Even though I still feel like crap, I'm staying at home until I feel well enough that I won't spread whatever it is I have, corona or not because that is the right goddamn thing to do.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
  11. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11,431
    Some folks discuss progress and some discuss the terror about the future. And the pandemic continues at the same rate since our first death on February 29th. Deaths have regularly doubled every 3 days. We're up about 70% from 2 days ago, so we are basically on track to go from 1 to 4000 deaths in a month.
    ==============
    MUSING ON THE NUMBERS - FLU
    This is a terrible flu season. The norm is a 10-20% infection rate in the US, with a death rate of about 1 in a 1000. So, being conservative,

330 million x 15% x .001 = 50,000 estimated deaths, the current estimate by experts.

MUSING ON THE NUMBERS - CORONA VIRUS
    1) Is the 15% high, low, or about right in the US, in your state?
    2) Is the one in a thousand death rate too high, too low or just right?

I would note that some think that the penetration rate is much higher, especially in states with a large urban population. The lowest calculated death rate in the world is in Germany, and is estimated at 5 in a 1000, five times the estimate above.

CONCLUSION
    The 50,000 estimated death figure seems low. However, my hope and prayer is that we will be able to protect our first responders and medical folks much better. They are our soldiers, risking their lives daily. The new test will help, when the swabs become more available.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. rochrist

rochrist Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +8,450
    As has been explained again and again, we're doing better because it hasn't been here as long. Healthcare in this country is run as a just-in-time inventory service meaning in normal times there are very few ICU beds lying empty. These are not normal times. The reason the mortality rate is as high as it is in Italy is because they're now unable to treat huge numbers of patients and they're left on their own to live or die. That what's beginning to happen in NYC, which is why the death rate there has spiked sharply upwards.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11,414
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Joker

Ratings:
    +35,706
    Finally found digital thermometers today...right in the little satellite CVS here in Charlestown. They got a small one box shipment....the main store in Wakefield? nothing...so I bought four of them for friends most at risk that couldn't get one because of the panic buying. Everybody just checked in and report normal temps. Piece of mind for 7 bucks never felt like such a bargain but if I'd have been able I'd have bought all of them and gave them away in town. I just don't get it. Thermometers...a shortage of dyam thermometers. Seems to me that with the baby boomer generation in their 60's and 70's now, the strategic planners of these health companies would have mapped out long term supply streams to meet demand such as we are experiencing right now.
    The more I see the more I think GenEntitled just wants us boomers to die off as fast as possible so they can get back to their GTA games and inheritance social standing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,480

Well the numbers of fatalities are public knowledge, that is the numerator, the population of countries are also public knowledge. that is the denominator. Numerator and denominator for each country gives answer, sort of like 4th grade math.

• Genius Genius x 1
  16. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,480

Still < other countries. do the math.

17. patman12

patman12 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,524
    Thanks for posting.

Some promising results and some interesting points of discussion as a result of the findings. For me, the most promising thing is the "rapid fall of nasopharyngeal viral load tested by qPCR" that "was noted, with 83% negative at Day7, and 93% at Day8". These don't duplicate the results from the preliminary peer-review study but the numbers are still very good, especially when compared to the study in China that was performed with a a Kaletra/antibiotic treatment.

Since this wasn't a blind, double blind, or randomized trial, it's hard to know how those patients would have progressed if some were given placebo and some actual medication. Second, it would have been interesting to see numbers if some patients were only treated with azithromycin as prophylaxis for pneumonia (the major respiratory issue that covid is causing). Third, this was performed at 2 locations so it's difficult to know how controlled conditions were during the study. Lastly, it would have been nice to see a larger number of same aged patients (e.g., 10 ppl 60-69, 10 ppl 70-79, etc). But that's something another study can pick up.

• Useful Useful x 2
  18. Observer

Observer In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,261
    I have been sticking mostly to fruits with peels, and I invariably cook all my vegetables.

19. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady AB Forever PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33,331
    You realize it’s inevitable that the US will surpass those countries, right? I’ve done the math. That’s what the math proves, barring some act of god.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Sad Sad x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Joker

Ratings:
    +35,706
    I guess you could use frozen vegetables for right now with a production date pre/February...but ...I never eat frozen crap anyway. Imagine...I die from eating my broccoli. I told Ma I didn't like it!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.