Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: at Seahawks
Pick Results: NE: 51.3% at SEA: 48.7%
Sun
Sep 20th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

sambam94

In the Starting Line-Up
I mentioned in game thread, but I haven't heard anyone mention this at all.
Near the end of the fist half...Clement gets that big 55 yard gainer to the Pats 8 yard line with 1:30 left. Pats have all 3 time outs as do the Eagles. Belichick does not call a time out. Foles snaps the ball with :53 seconds left, a hand off for a 6 yard gain to the Pats 2 yard line. Now Belichick calls their 1st time out. Eagles hand off again for a 1 yard gain, time out #2 for NE.
The trick play pass to Foles is scored with 34 seconds left in the half.

Why didn't Belichick call a time out immediately after the long gainer to the 8 yard line? He let 37 seconds tick off the clock. Brady should have had 1:07 to start the drive, not 34 seconds. Pats managed to get to their own 44 yard line with 22 seconds left. They would have had 59 seconds left and plenty of time to get into FG range..or better. Little things like this are usually what sets Belichick apart...bad mistake, and no excuse for it really.

chasa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Again no.

Defense cost the patriots the game, plain and simple. the patriots shouldn't need to score 50 points to win a game. benching butler, and not playing anything resembling professional football defense cost the patriots.

Stop with these "This player cost the patriots" "This one play cost the patriots" "this one time out cost the patriots"

it was 4 quarters of not playing ANY defense resulting in what 1 punt? that is why the patriots lost

Ice_Ice_Brady

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I agree with this. I was yelling at the TV when this happened. The right call was a timeout at the 8 yard line with well over a minute remaining.

sambam94

In the Starting Line-Up
Again no.

Defense cost the patriots the game, plain and simple. the patriots shouldn't need to score 50 points to win a game. benching butler, and not playing anything resembling professional football defense cost the patriots.

Stop with these "This player cost the patriots" "This one play cost the patriots" "this one time out cost the patriots"

it was 4 quarters of not playing ANY defense resulting in what 1 punt? that is why the patriots lost
Again no.

little things like this contribute to a loss...obviously the defense sucked, but belichick most likely costs the Pats 3 points before the half.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Do I think this was the difference maker? No, but I agree with your assessment of the situation. I was yelling for a time out as well. With three time outs and the Eagles inside the ten yard line you KNOW you will get the ball back. Why they didn't call time out is beyond me.

sambam94

In the Starting Line-Up
There are many reasons why they lost but the main one was the defense.
I agree..I never said it cost them the game, I just said it cost them. The Missed FG and missed xtra point cost them as well..that's 7 points. Who knows how the second half unfolds adding those 7 points to the half time score. Little things certainly matter.

TommyBrady12

Hall of Fame Poster
I agree..I never said it cost them the game, I just said it cost them. The Missed FG and missed xtra point cost them as well..that's 7 points. Who knows how the second half unfolds adding those 7 points to the half time score. Little things certainly matter.
We got all the breaks in SB49 and 51, the eagles got them last night. Part of those breaks are boneheaded coaching decisions by your opponent.

Tb12goesinya

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
I mentioned in game thread, but I haven't heard anyone mention this at all.
Near the end of the fist half...Clement gets that big 55 yard gainer to the Pats 8 yard line with 1:30 left. Pats have all 3 time outs as do the Eagles. Belichick does not call a time out. Foles snaps the ball with :53 seconds left, a hand off for a 6 yard gain to the Pats 2 yard line. Now Belichick calls their 1st time out. Eagles hand off again for a 1 yard gain, time out #2 for NE.
The trick play pass to Foles is scored with 34 seconds left in the half.

Why didn't Belichick call a time out immediately after the long gainer to the 8 yard line? He let 37 seconds tick off the clock. Brady should have had 1:07 to start the drive, not 34 seconds. Pats managed to get to their own 44 yard line with 22 seconds left. They would have had 59 seconds left and plenty of time to get into FG range..or better. Little things like this are usually what sets Belichick apart...bad mistake, and no excuse for it really.
I thought the clock management was on point.

Wordsmyth

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
We also left too many points on the field. The shanked FG, the missed XP, the fourth-and-five call (where BB obviously didn't trust Ghost to make the FG), and the inexplicably-missing Malcolm Butler. I refuse to blame the refs or take anything away from the Eagles. They played outstanding football.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
We also left too many points on the field. The shanked FG, the missed XP, the fourth-and-five call (where BB obviously didn't trust Ghost to make the FG), and the inexplicably-missing Malcolm Butler. I refuse to blame the refs or take anything away from the Eagles. They played outstanding football.
Agreed, and even with all that Brady had the ball with 2 minutes an change to win the game. Today (and yesterday sucks) but over time I think we'll still appreciate what the Pats did this year.